Friday 20 February 2015

Coffee Date Interview 3 - Jackie








Name: Jackie


1. What’s the best advice given to you ?
At my age, I’ve had lots, and all relating to different periods and events in my life and all of which I have appreciated. However one of the ones that sticks most in my mind is To Always Be True To Yourself.

2. What one thing would you change about your job or place of work?
Ultimately it would be that the company that sells doughnuts came in to sell their doughnuts more than once every fortnight…………… However that’s more from a yummy scrummy personal perspective and it would be no good for my waistline if that did happen!

I’m quite fortunate in that overall I enjoy the work that I do, the people that I work with and the location of where I work. However, I do get a bit frustrated sometimes that other areas within the business don’t fully appreciate and understand the work my team does when it comes to project deliverables and that we are expected to “fit-in” with timelines set by others without actually having too much initial input into setting the timelines.

3. What made you laugh this week?
I have just taken up machine sewing classes (well I bought my daughter a sewing machine for her birthday last August so I thought it would be good if I knew how to use it so I could show her rather than it just gathering dust behind the chair!!) and during the last 2 weeks we have been making bunting. Now, as Lisa (from Work Smart Work Savvy) know's I am not the most domesticated person so it’s been a bit of a “challenge” to say the least. Last week, we were shown how to cut-out the triangles (which I had to finish at home as I was a bit behind during class time – oops!). This week we had to put our bunting together and had to sew the triangles (you needed to use your imagination when you saw mine to even view them as triangles as my eye to scissors co-ordination is abysmal and there was no consistency in the shapes!) onto the bias-binding (I think that’s what it’s called). I then had to use my eye to sewing machine and material co-ordination (which is even more abysmal than my eye to scissors co-ordination!) to sew it all together and when I took it off the sewing machine, I had to laugh when I saw this long string of bunting in my hand. There was no such thing as a straight sewing line, I’d even got one of the triangles doubled over at the top so had sewn that folded over instead of flat and the machine stitching, instead of being hidden was showing on my triangles. So I took it home to my hubby and he loving said that I should be very proud of it and that we could hang it in the spare room (no-one ever goes in there!). It did make us giggle! I’m moving on to cushion covers this week - God help us all!

4. What drives you crazy at work?
Control-freaks!

5. What’s the first thing you do on arriving at work?
Have a cup of tea and a quick chin-wag with the people I directly work with. This sets me up nicely whilst my PC is booting up, ready for the day ahead.

6. What are the 3 “nevers” in your life?
Oh where do I start, I have loads of these that I constantly strive to achieve but have to hand-on-heart say that I am not very good at fulfilling most of them! Here are 3 from that list. Never dwell/look back (learn and move on), never stop telling and showing my husband and children how much I love them (I am really good at this one!) and never stop believing that “I can do it if I want it” (i.e. believing in myself).

7. What’s the best thing about your job?
The flexibility it gives me to achieve a really good work-life balance.

8. When is your most productive time of the day?
Morning, I become a right lazy bum in the evenings and don’t really want to do anything!

9. Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsey?
That’s a difficult one as I love the impetuousness, dedication and passion they both have for their jobs. But to give you an answer I’m going to go with Jamie as he has, in my mind, done more to promote and encourage healthy eating amongst children and in schools.

10. Coffee or Tea?
Tea (am having a nice cup of decaf tea as I write this).

11. Del Boy or Rodney?
I relate more to Rodney as I’m a bit like him from a work and life perspective. I’m not very good with coming up the ideas (which is where I see Del Boy) but am happy to go along with the suggestions. I will always offer my opinion/advice though should the situation present itself.

12. Bright colours or neutral tones?
I like more neutral tones as I like the fact that they can give me warmth and comfort if that is what my mood/spirit requires at that time but also they give me the flexibility to “brighten-up” should I be in a brighter, lighter frame of mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...