Thursday 30 April 2015

Hannah Fox's Diary 13 - Just when you thought it was safe to have lunch at your desk



I was browsing the BBC the other day and and found an article about what drives us nuts at work what drives us nuts at work and funnily enough Clipboard Clive wasn’t even mentioned! But it said that one of the things that causes tension is people eating at their desks. This is not a thing that normally worries me as my desk is on its own and I don’t really come across much chomping during the course of the day.

Well I take it all back enter...Graeme the IT contractor who is now taking full advantage of the new microwave installed in the office since the sandwich shop has closed down. Most people heat up soup or the occasional jacket potato but NOT GRAEME – does he just live on curries?

This week it’s been vindaloo on Monday, lamb bhuna on Tuesday and fish pie on Wednesday.

Don’t get me wrong I like curries and fish pie but I think you should be considerate of others in the office.  Quite honestly the aroma is quite over powering and I think I have become sensitised to the sound of the ping of the microwave which heralds the latest lurid lunch!! I’ve bought a neutralising spray but it is proving to be ineffective against Graeme’s tasty treats being unleashed on the office and don't even get me started on the empty meal for one cartons left in and around the bin!!

OK rant over....and breathe!  

Well as they say every cloud has a silver lining  and after a particularly nasty whiff of the latest gastronomic delight, I decided the weather was good enough take my lunch and head out to the park.

Bliss -fresh air.

I always thought I was too busy to leave my desk for ½ hour break but I’m finding I’m coming back refreshed, it’s given me thinking time as well to run through problems in my head while I’m out. I’ve even had a mental run through of my preparation for my next meeting with Clive.

Work
I’m beginning to see my situation as a challenge that I can do something about, I’m determined not to be on the back foot at my next meeting.

Social
Still trying to work out how I can fit in a run in the evenings, maybe I will take my trainers to work and have a power walk around the park in my lunch break and invite Louise to join me.

Family
The kids have promised to make pizza for tea tonight – should be good.

Well-being
Now I’m out of the office in the fresh air I’m feeling a bit sorry for Graeme having to eat those plastic curries. Think I will leave a few healthy eating magazines around for him to be inspired by.



Hannah Fox is a character.  She is based on our years of experience working for a national mental health charity supporting people facing stress in the workplace.  
The names and characters are not based on any one person and all similarities are purely incidental.
However, hopefully we can all see a little bit of ourselves in Hannah.

Point to Ponder:
What is your workplace nightmare?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...