Friday 24 April 2015

Coffee Date Interview 9 - Nick Ware








Name: Nick Ware

Job Title: Head of Secured Credit Policy, Nationwide

1. Did you have a career plan or just meandered your way into your present job?
No plan, just an intention to not do the same job for much more than 2 years

2. What’s the last thing you do at work before leaving?
Turn the lights out !! There's no routine, I grab my coat, put phone in my pocket and say goodnight to the last few in the office on my way out.

3. Best light bulb moment?
About 4 years ago; after having a bad time at work which was really getting me down, I realised just how lucky I was to have such a wonderful wife and kids , and how important they were to me. I now get just how important it is to cherish every moment with them, and always try to make time for more moments.

4. What’s the best thing about your job?
Every day is a challenge, no two days are the same, and I really do need to think hard sometimes !

5. What eats up most of your time at work?
Reading e-mails and people coming to my desk to ask questions – I prefer the visit to my desk, it gives me the chance to have a proper chat.

6. What was the worst job you ever had and what did it teach you?
My first job in financial services, was at Nationwide stuffing insurance policy documents into envelopes - I had to do 20 a day - it was mind numbingly boring and so inefficient. So, after a couple of weeks, I set about trying to make it more interesting by testing how many I could do - I changed the process, made it much more efficient, and by the time I had finished, I was up to 60 a day, much to the chagrin on my team mates who were content doing 20 and getting pressure to do more...What did it teach me? Two things; life will be as interesting or boring as you make it, and everything can be improved - it sometimes just takes a little imagination

7. What’s your top tip for staying on top of things and getting stuff done?
Lists - my wife loves making lists, especially the ones full of jobs for me to do !

8. When the going gets tough......?
Isn't life exciting......

9. Marmite- yes or no?
NOOOOOO – food of the devil

10. Roller Coaster or Ferris Wheel?
Neither – ever since I jumped off a bridge with a piece of elastic tied to my ankles I have been scared of heights (much to the amusement of the kids) – dodgem cars for me all day!

11. Night in or Night out?
Night out – a night in means kids don’t go to bed til 9 and then I have to cook….give me a good pub, a few beers and a tasty meal in a local restaurant any day

12. Bond or Bourne?
Bond – Bourne was good, but Bond does it with style

Note from WSWS HQ:  
Nick mentioned lists as being something that helps him keep on top of things.  Have a look at Lists are the tools of the successful and Taking your to do list from daunting to do-able for more listy tips.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...