Thursday 25 June 2015

Hannah Fox's Diary 21 - Hay-fever,guinea pig on the run and more microwave meals!


What a week! I am suffering from my annual hay-fever blitz but it seems particularly awful this year. 

Someone told me that if you wear loads of mascara it traps the pollen and stops the irritation in your eyes but all that happened is I ended up looking like a panda because my eyes are watering so much. I have spent a fortune at the chemist on products to help but I think I should have just bought a giant pack of tissues as nothing seems to work apart from staying inside.

Just got into work on time as Amelia has taken top letting Rita out in the garden for an early morning run. She escaped from her pen and we spent ages trying to round her up into her cage ……..I had no idea guinea pigs could run so fast. Hope this isn't going to be a regular occurrence!

At least the air con in work relieved my hay-fever symptoms…..bliss!

I decided to stay in at lunch time but heard the ping of the microwave and my heart sank when I saw Graeme hovering ready to take out his lunch. Thinking that all I needed was the first thing I could smell for a week being a vindaloo curry.  I was pleasantly surprised to smell a minestrone soup. It seemed safe to wander over to get a cuppa and got chatting to him……..apparently his wife has been in hospital for 2 months following an operation and he has been fending for himself hence the lurid microwave lunches. He looked really happy and said he was relieved to have her home; she was now up and about and had put him on a healthy diet. He even offered me some soup as he said he had noticed me sneezing and looking unwell.  He said he was trying to not come too close as he was worried about passing on a cold to his wife.

Gulp……felt really rotten for moaning about him heating up his lunches when he must have had a lot on his plate …….(literally) and worrying about his wife. 

Just shows you that sometimes you get so wrapped up in your own life you forget to notice others.

WorkThe well being survey results are being published next week.

Family 
We are all going bowling tonight so I can enjoy an evening without sneezing.

Social 
Skyped Jo and she told me about her amazing holiday and have arrange to get together when she’s back.

Well-being
Resolved to give thanks about all the positives in my life and not concentrate on this pesky hay-fever when there are others very close who are dealing with much tougher things.



Hannah Fox is a character.  She is based on our years of experience working for a national mental health charity supporting people facing stress in the workplace.  The names and characters are not based on any one person and all similarities are purely incidental.  However, hopefully we can all see a little bit of ourselves in Hannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...