Thursday 23 July 2015

Hannah Fox's Diary - What a week










I can’t believe it, it’s only been a week since I had that really big meeting with the Kitchen Appliance Company and they've already delayed the dates we’d agreed. Aaaaargh! I felt so positive after the meeting yet already they’re back to their old ways.

What’s more, I'm worried it’s going to impact on the Kitchen Yard who are being very patient but I'm sure they’ll start thinking I'm incapable and not on top of things. Not that they've said anything to hint at this....yet...I fear it’s only a matter of time!

So much for getting everything sorted before my holiday. I have a plan to have everything tied up and sorted ready for a really neat handover to Louise. Now what is she going to think of me? This week is just not going to plan.

The new assistant Clipboard Clip had promised is on hold as well now. Clive announced that no new staff will be taken on in our department until “contracts are on a more solid footing”. I swear he looked over my way as he made the announcement. If only I could tie the Kitchen Appliance Company down to stick to the dates we agreed. I'm really going to have to up my game here but I just don’t know what more I can do.

We ate later this evening after the kids had gone to bed and I spoke to Darren about the recruitment ban. He said they were in the same situation at his work across all departments. He was really good listening to me, asking questions and helping me see that this is a business decision not a personal attack on me. He pointed out that I’d been working really hard building up relationships with all my accounts, had received some great feedback and never shied away from tricky conversations with the Kitchen Appliance Company. I was really touched as it proved that Darren had been listening to me over the last few weeks and really does care about what’s happening to me. He asked me “what would you say to me if I came home from work with this story?”. I had to admit that I would have said a similar thing to him.


Work
I think I really need a break from work and this holiday can't come round fast enough.  Although 

Family 
Really looking forwards to lots of family time over the holidays.

Social 
It's been another work focused week so this has gone on a real back burner.

Well-being
I'm still working at writing down at least one good thing that happened in the day.  I can't confess to doing it everyday but I've done more days than I haven't done.  They are lovely to read back through.  






Hannah Fox is a character.  She is based on our years of experience working for a national mental health charity supporting people facing stress in the workplace.  The names and characters are not based on any one person and all similarities are purely incidental.  However, hopefully we can all see a little bit of ourselves in Hannah.

Point to Ponder

Often we can be more hard on ourselves than we would be of others. When you’re in a tricky situation, try to take a step back and ask yourself the question, “What advice would I give to a friend if they were in this situation?”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...